DIY: Crown Invitations

And it's that time of the year again!! I'm not talking about Halloween... It's my daughter's Birthday!!! Yayyyyy!!

Ironically, I only push myself to start and finish DIY projects that are related to her because  most of the time I'm stuck at work :/ but hey! You gonna love this tutorial.

This year we decide to go with the Princess theme and I spent thousands of hours searching for ideas over the internet and thinking.... Until I found these beautiful invitations on this website http://www.handmadebyodette.com/blog/2012/04/princess-crown-for-a-little-princess/ and I knew I had to make them. As I don't have (yet) a Cutting Machine, I went DIY all the way and did everything myself.



So here are the materials you will need:


  • Cardstock. I used one sheet of 28 1/2" x 22 1/2" in pale pink color.
  • Pearls / Beads
  • Scissors
  • Hot Glue Gun
  • Foamy with Glitter. I used 3 sheets of 11"x17" in Yellow, Fuscia and Purple
  • Blade
  • Crown Template. This I did it myself. How? I printed the image above twice in a 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of regular paper. Then, I cut the crown based on the outline. Then I cut the second image, based on the crown design inside (See picture), which resulted in 2 templates.


First step is to outline the templates. I used the first template, which is the base crown, in the pink card stock and draw 16 crown shapes. Then using the 2nd template, I draw 16 of those in the glitter foamy.


I have to say that cutting these babies, is the most time-consuming part of this project. So be prepared with some coffee, music or get someone to talk to while you're doing it because most likely you will get sleepy.


For the glitter crown , once I cut them all then I used the blade to cut the inside and give it the crown look. For the holes, you can use a hole puncher but I came up with this idea after I had done almost all of the crowns by hand.









I bought the beads at a local craft shop by the yard, and then I cut them all out. Once I had all the pieces together, I started the assembly.


The original invitation I saw was designed to open/close like a regular invitation but I decided to make mines as one single invitation, so I printed the wording in regular card stock, cut it and then using the hot glue gun, added to the back of the invitations. This will save you card stock if you are in a budget, like me :D

On the other side, then you will start decorating using the glitter foamy and the beads.


Using the hot glue gun, put some silicon on the back of the foamy glitter crown following its shape and being careful not to either spill the glitter part with hot glue nor to burn your fingers. Then glue it to the lighter pink base. Once it's dry, start decorating your crown as you wish.

I used the small flower in the main lace of the crown, and the pearls I placed 3 on the holes at the base of the crown, and 2 on the holes that are close to the center of the main lace.


And this is the final look!!!



I'm in love!!! They turned out better than what I expected and the guess that have received theirs are also in love with these beauties.

Hope you liked the post and if you have any concerns in regards the tutorial or need further explanations, don't hesitate to leave your comments.

Right now Im the making of a Tutu Dress for the birthday girl, as well as the Crowns and Magic Wands. More DIY to come. Stay tunned!!!

Mage

Comments

Unknown said…
hi my daughter is turning 1 on december and i too love these crowns from monette..i just want to know where can i get thepatterns for the crown.
Unknown said…
hope to hear your reply soon
Unknown said…
Hi Hainah! I made the pattern myself by printing the same picture twice and then cutting the shapes. I still have the one I made in card stock so I'll try to scan it and upload it by tomorrow or Monday so you can download it.
Any other questions you might have don't hesitate to ask!! :)

Popular Posts