My 1st Crafty Post: DIY Minnie Mouse Ears

Hello Again.

And this is the my first DIY tutorial. Im sooo excited.

My daughter's birthday was on the 20th and the theme we used was Minnie Mouse. Not only because is very trendy now but because she loves the "Mickey Mouse's House" Tv Show.

I'm posting the tutorial now cause as you might understand, I was sooo involved into my DIY projects that i didn't have enough time to post them until now.

So here we go:

For the Minnie Mouse Ears, I found a very nice tutorial on The Suburban Mom Blog, but with a few shortcuts as I didn't have the time to do it exactly like that. Click Here to see those instructions

Materials


  • Headbands. You can use about 1/2 inch or 1 centimeter wide. On the tutorial  she used any color as she covered them with black felt. I took a shortcut here and bought black ones :)
  • Foam Sheets. I used 3 Black Foam Sheets around 13"x 20"
  • Scissors
  • Marker
  • Hot glue gun and tons of glue
  • Ribbon. You will need 1.5 inches for the Minnie Mouse bow and 1/8 inches ribbon to tie the bow with it.
  • Template for the ears. I used the one provided at the Suburban Mom.

  1. As I mentioned before, I took a couple of shortcuts and used black headbands instead of covering them with black felt.
Tracing the ears with the template
2. Then using the template and the marker, trace it onto the foam sheets. I had a total of 24 ears per sheet. You need 2 ears per headband. I made 25 Minnie Mouse ears, so I needed a total of 50 individual ears.




3. Here I took another shortcut. Instead of using black felt ears with the foam circle, I decided to make the ears with black foam since the very beginning. You need a lot of patience to cut so many foam, especially when it's 1:00 am in the morning and all you can think is go to sleep ;)
The foam ears are more steady and will keep the shape easier. Just make sure you cut them round and that you measure everything before you put the hot glue on it.

4. Now you can start assembling the ears to the headbands.



I put some glue in the middle of the ears and then attached the first pair to one of the sides of the headband. Again, try to determine before putting glue on it where you want each pair to go. I put mine in an angle of approximately 60 degrees.


Secure the middle of the ears with enough glue and keep it pressed. 


Once the middle is securely attached to the headband, put enough glue on one of the interior side of the ear as you can see in the picture below. Keep them firmly pressed until the glue has done its work and they are tightly secured.




Repeat the process on the other side of the headband and now you should have this!! You can use these ones for the boys as they will like to look like Mickey Mouse instead of Minnie :

Mickey Mouse Ears



5. Now for the bows, cut a length of ribbon around 9 inches long. I used red with polka dots, cute!!!






Fold the 2 ends in the middle and then pinch the center creating a 3 layer effect.






Now take the thin ribbon and use it to tie the bow in the center. Tie secure. Make sure you left enough ribbon to tie it to the headband ;)






Now, just add the ribbon to the center of the headband. Once you tie the knot, cut the leftovers of the ribbon and add a dot of hot glue to the knot to secure it. That's it!!! Now you should have something like this:



They are easy and cheap! and believe me, all your guess will love them. Hope you liked the post and don't forget to leave your comments or questions. I'll be glad to help you or clarify any step. I'll be posting the centerpieces as well as the favor boxes soon.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Where did you find packs of just solid black headbands? Everything I'm finding comes packs of 5 with all different colors and only one black one in the pack.
Anonymous said…
I bought a 12 pack on Ebay and got a great deal with free shipping included for about 5 dollars or so..

Thanks for commenting and hope yours turn out well.. Post some pics if you can :D I'd love to see yours!

Popular Posts